Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ackward Missionary Moment

March 26, 2011

Today has been an amazing day. I had an awesome missionary experience with a guy in my pod. It was the same guy that got into a fight with the little guy who used a lock in his sock.

He asked me if I was "Mormon." I told him I was. This is the second time he asked me this question, so my spiritual ears perked up immediately. I gave a quick prayer - "Father, I am grateful for this opportunity to testify of Thee and Thy Son. Please bless me with the Holy ghost so that I may know what to say."

He asked me if we believe that the righteous will rule the Earth. I told him that we do. I guessed he was talking about the Millennium. He then began to quote several scriptures that had reference to that, such as the Lord's Prayer and some in Isaiah. He told me that the Lord said the "meek shall inherit the Earth." He goes on to expand greatly on this subject. He mentioned that it was written that there will be a new heaven and a new earth.

It was fascinating to me how much this non-member had learned about the truths which are so plainly taught to us by modern scripture. In fact, he was teaching me. I would never have guessed that this guy knew the Bible so well and had been obviously doing some diligent study. I agreed with everything he was saying. I, then, felt prompted to ask if he knew anyone else who was a Mormon. He told me he did. It was one of the Spanish speaking brothers in our "ward." He said that this brother really knew a lot.

I immediately invited him to come to church with us. He kinda ignored the offer, but you can bet I am going to watch him like a hawk and I am going to pounce at the very first prompting i get from the Spirit to follow up on it. I bore a quick testimony to him and told him how impressed I was with how much be knew about the gospel.

Now - here is the real crazy part: All this happened in the shower. No, we don't have to group showers here, thankfully. They have shower stalls that are lined up along a wall and three people shower at once. they are separated by a wall about four feet high, and three feet away from the wall. There are five stalls total, but only three guys shower at the same time so that there is an empty stall next to each guy.

You never know when a chance to bear witness of the truthfulness of the gospel is going to appear. I am grateful that since I have been developing the habit of praying always, I was completely prepared to share the gospel and stand as a witness of Christ - even with two other guys. I know that sounds bad, but I was so excited to share the gospel, I didn't care one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment