Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sleepless in the Heat

July 23, 2011

It's been a long time since my last journal entry.  Much has happened and I am going to give my updates over the next couple entries. 


The last couple weeks signaled the arrival of summer.  That brought 115-118 degree weather, along with high humidity.  When the heat first arrived, it turned the dorm where I live into a sauna.  Nighttime did nothing to alleviate the sweltering heat and humidity. 

The worst side effect I suffered from the change in the climate was my inability to sleep at night.  For almost a month, it was impossible for me to sleep after the sun set.  Even when the weather cooled down a bit and the dorm was no longer like an oven, my sleep schedule was so off kilter that I still was unable to sleep at night.

After the first couple of weeks, it seemed like I was perpetually tired.  As my friends and family can attest, I can tend to be grumpy when I first wake up or when I am very tired!  I started getting very frustrated and the days seemed almost painful to me.

Today will mark the 4th day in a row that I have SLEPT all the way through the night!!  AND I did not take any naps during the day!  To say I feel like a million dollars would be an understatement!  I have been praying for months for the ability to follow the scriptures council to get up early and go to bed early.  I have always read that great blessings are promised to those who would follow that council.

I have struggled my whole life with "morning phobia."  It seemed that no matter what I did I could not get up before 8-9 AM and I could not fall asleep before 1 AM.  I, now, can see the Lord's hand in those three weeks of sleepless hell and I am, now, enjoying the benefits of His blessings.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  I will be sure to be more grateful in the future for some of the difficult challenges that are sure to surface.

I still remember laying there all night long, praying that I could sleep.  I was so tired.  It became painful to be awake.  Now my joy is truly equal to the sorrow I experienced.  Just another example of how the amount of joy we can experience is directly related to the amount of sorrow we have endured.

No comments:

Post a Comment