Monday, July 11, 2011

Lock Down and Chess

May 11, 2011

Today was a very good day.  Since we are still locked down 24-7 because of the searches, ...
(Every three months the inmates are kept locked in their own pods while the guards do a search for contraband items and drugs.  It lasts from three to four days.  They have freedom of movement within their pod, but cannot go to classes, recreation, or other pods.)
I spent most of the day playing chess.  I have been studying a couple new chess books that I recently got and today was the first day that I was able to notice a difference in my play.  A guy that I have been teaching chess came up to me and told that he was grateful for all the tips I have been teaching him because he was able to implement them successfully in his games today.  He was really excited about seeing growth in his game.  I was happy to be an instrument in helping to improve someones state of mind.  It may seem strange, but I am very thankful for chess. 

I have been able to develop some strong mental habits from the game.  Spiritually, I notices that life is being more streamline and less "cluttered."  I am grateful for the Spirit and the refining touches it brings to my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment