Friday, July 8, 2011

Self Worth - What's It Made of?

April 22, 2011

Today has been an extremely enlightening day for me. I realized that my whole life I have been basing my self-worth on the Temporal World. My self-worth is really beyond measure. I am a child of God and He loves me unconditionally. I am beginning to realize that I don't need anything i this temporal world to contribute to my value as an individual. My value to Heavenly Father does not decrease, change, or falter. No matter what I do, or how I perform, He loves me, just the same. My worth is immeasurable.

I am trying to be focusing on being in the light as much as possible so I can feel his love for me more. I understand that for me to truly be able to see, feel, do and think as Christ would, then I first need to be able to feel that kind of love about myself first.

We cannot give a love we do not have. If we do not truly know our self-worth and truly experience our Father's endless love for us, how can we (in turn) give love to others? If all my self-worth is tied up in my temporal performance, how can I judge my brothers and sister otherwise? If being Number One in all that I do gives me a feeling of worth, then how am I going to feel about the guy that comes in last? Or a person that does not perform to my expectations? I am going to judge them based on what is important to me.

I am now realizing that all my life I have felt very little self-worth. I never really knew what love was. I'm talking about the true, unconditional love.  Going thought this experience and looking back, I can see an example of this unconditional love in my life:  my mother's love for me.  she has always been there for me.  she has loved me regardless of my performance, my actions - regardless of everything.

This is a new feeling for me and like everything else I am trying to integrate into my belief system, I know this is going to take time and effort to get these feelings rooted in my heart.

My desire in not to allow my self worth to be affected in any way by the temporal world.  Allowing your self worth to be based on how well you do something, or on how poorly you do something else, gives Satan tools to use against you.  Wanting the highest score on a test can be leveraged into putting something else before the Lord.  When doing your best doesn't match the goal you set for yourself, what do you do?  Something "outside" just came "inside" and you are beating yourself up over it. 

Only when we have our self worth grounded completely in things spiritual do we have the ability to become Christ-like.  We can, then, return the love we feel from Christ to others without judging them in any way.  We will see them as Christ seeing us, beautiful and with value beyond measure.  We will see ourselves the same way, and cut ourselves some slack when we don't reach our worldly goals.

How people see us is only how  they see themselves.  It's called projection.  I am so excited to begin centering my self-worth on my Eternal Father's matchless love for me.  there is nothing that could ever change how He feels about me.  What do you think THAT tells me about my worth to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment